commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [Collections] What's the Status of the Avalon move?
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:56:26 GMT
I know you guys where improving the bits we had there in Avalon land,
but I wanted to know how things were moving along.

I am leaving for vacation in a couple of days so I personally would
not be able to help.  I know one of the developers on the Avalon
group wants to use Commons collections to fix a problem (as your
collections package has more in it).

Since I really don't want to have two different Apache collections
packages for the Avalon software to use, I asked if he could help
with the migration efforts.  Since we have a relatively immediate
need, we might be able to address this in short order.

I am actually excited about the collaboration that is beginning to
emerge between our groups, and I only hope it continues to be fostered.
The maintainers of the Commons Collections package are very good
at what they do, and are used to that problem domain.  Most of the
Avalon developers, while also are very good, focus their attention
at higher abstraction levels.  The net result is that we both win.
You get some useful bits that were not part of commons before, and
we get better implementations of them.

As and FYI, the Avalon team is really looking to refocus our project
more squarely at our original charter.  That means that eventually
all the stuff that lives in Excalibur that is not an Avalon component
or container will be moved to commons.  Which means that commons
will have more code to build a diverse community around.  It also
means that there will be less overlap between our projects which
should ease any tensions or animosity that has been built up between
the communities.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin