commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter_Kos...@t-online.de (Peter Ko├ček)
Subject Re: [collections] Transformer exception handling
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:33:51 GMT
Yes, it is better to use a special wrapper exception like
InvocationTargetException than to use Exception.
But it is no good having a separate ExceptionalTransformer interface. E.g.,
if someone supplies reusable static constants (e.g., a
TO_STRING_TRANSFORMER), and if these constants are instances which implement
Transformer, then you can't reuse the constants within a special framework
which uses ExceptionalTransformer. So it would be very useful if Transformer
is a subtype of ExceptionalTransformer. :-y

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ola Berg" <ola.berg@arkitema.se>
To: <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: [collection] Transformer exception handling

> This is one of the two reasons why I don\'t use jakartas framework (yet)
but stick to my own. The generic transforming method needs to be declared as
throwing exceptions.

> My Transformation interface (a Transformation is the thing doing the
Transformation from one class to another, the Transformer is the surrounding
framework) throws InstantiationException and InvocationTargetException
(since some reflection almost always is there). InvocationTargetException
wraps another Exception, and this is how java.lang.reflect deals with it.