commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] is there a release on the visible horizon?
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:43:22 GMT
From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertdonkin@mac.com>
> On Sunday, June 30, 2002, at 02:00 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > From: "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com>
> >> I think there's enough demand out there to get it released. The tiny
size
> >> will probably be a plus.
> >>
> >> Maybe it's time to start thinking about what is left to be done before
> >> release can be made.
>
> <snip>
>
> > 4) add low level reflection code in reflect subpackage as was discussed
> > few weeks ago. (needs further discussion)
>
> (FYI there is (at least) one fix which needs to be made to the reflection
> code in beanutils.)
>
> IMHO there isn't really any point holding up the initial release to get
> this in.
>
> are you going to try for promotion to the commons before the release?
>
> it'd be a lot easier to move the reflection code into lang if lang were
> already a commons component.

I have one problem with (4) waiting until after a 1.0 release. And that is
item (7):
>>7) Classes clashes badly with the reflection stuff. Either we include
>>reflection or we don't.

In other words I'm not fussed about the protocol of whether its a sandbox or
commons proper component. But I do want to get the release of Lang right so
we don't need to deprecate Classes later. That's more important to me.

Stephen