commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@germuska.com>
Subject Re: Resisting the temptation
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 14:17:25 GMT
At 10:05 AM -0400 5/10/02, Kurt Schrader wrote:
>On Fri, 10 May 2002, James Strachan wrote:
>
>>  Anyone who uses the digester needs digester, beanutils, collections and
>>  logging. Its a shame there's not just a single jar for all these 4 (very
>>  common) things. How about we bundle these 4 things into a single 'uber-jar'?
>>  Say, commons-core.jar. We could maybe ensure that whenever we release one of
>>  these 4 jars, we release the whole bundle (commons-core) together too.
>
>This is a _bad_ idea.  If you have commons-core and a different version
>of one of the other jars in the same classpath, then the possibility of
>conflicts that cause problems is extremely high.  I've found that
>having jars inside of jars is always a bad idea.

This is a good point, although otherwise I think it's a good idea.

Perhaps the risk of conflict could be minimized with a new package
hierarchy like 'org.apache.commons.core'

Kind of like how "collections.jar" classes were not in "java.util."

Once the transition was over, it would be painless...

Joe

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956
tune in posse radio: <http://www.live365.com/stations/289268>