commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard Sitze" <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Resisting the temptation
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 19:47:54 GMT
If the interface is based on the commons logging factory then the logger
(Log4J presumably) is already set by the time Log4J is encountered (else it
would go elsewhere).

If not, the current default is going to go to Log4J anyway...  How SHOULD a
logger implementation bootstrap itself into commons logging, assuming it
wants to use a logger internally?

If these things are set in a manifest, what will happen if Log4J is in the
path AND we aren't using it,or worse we ARE using it in another component
of the system.  Will it force everything to the one logger?

[thought you would appreciate ealier comments :-]

Richard A. Sitze            rsitze@us.ibm.com
CORBA Interoperability & WebServices
IBM WebSphere Development

                      "Geir Magnusson

                      Jr."                     To:      Jakarta Commons Developers List

                      <geirm@adeptra.c         <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Re: Resisting the temptation

                      05/10/2002 12:17

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Jakarta

                      Commons

                      Developers List"

On 5/10/02 9:17 AM, "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Ceki
>
> Anyone who uses the digester needs digester, beanutils, collections and
> logging. Its a shame there's not just a single jar for all these 4 (very
> common) things. How about we bundle these 4 things into a single
'uber-jar'?
> Say, commons-core.jar. We could maybe ensure that whenever we release one
of
> these 4 jars, we release the whole bundle (commons-core) together too. Or
we
> could just get jjar/maven rocking... :-)

The real problem is the digester dependency on logging, isn't it?

A solution I can think of is for log4j to have a services entry in their
jar's META-INF to be the logger factory for logging.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.