commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Fw: [GUMP] how to point the finger?
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 22:50:40 GMT
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> The GCC project uses a very interesting tool for helping point out who
> entered a bug in the compiler after doing a change.

> Would it be possible to have a similar setup for GUMP? I know this
> implies keeping track of information between builds, something that
> GUMP doesn't do right now. But I think it will be very useful in
> identifying what are the changes that break things, not only a
> notification that things break.

Alexandria used to have a blame function.  You can find it here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-alexandria/src/java/org/apache/alexandria/blame/

I wouldn't object to it being integrated into Gump (or centaven), but my
experience by looking at cross project build errors for a long period of
time is that it will rarely point the finger in the right direction.
Accordingly, my goals over the past 18 months or so have been adjusted to
merely see if I can motivate inter-project communication.

For more details, see http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/nagged.html

- Sam Ruby