commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sung-Gu" <jericho at apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient question.
Date Sat, 11 May 2002 01:30:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Cook" <dennis@cook-mail.net>
To: "'Jakarta Commons Developers List'" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2002 2:02 AM
Subject: RE: HttpClient question.

> Well, technically you could also want to control the local port as well, but
I guess it's done...

> in most practical application that I have come across, the default is
> usually
> always used.  Was there something specific that you think is needed other
> than being able to define the local interface for the connection?
>
> Dennis

I guess I misunderstand a bit what you're saying ...
I understand now that your 'multi-home hosts' means that choosing one among the
network interfaces on your localhost is.   So your suggested method is meaning
to set an interface config. on your localhost.  I think I understand it now correctly...
I guess it will be automatical in the lower operating system level...though....

That's an advanced feature for network client program not confusing to choose one.
It'll need to have it someday. I recommend that you can report this feature on bugzilla to
remember it.  Or, please, report a patch for it to test whether it works fine...
I guess probably there are others interested in....

> > lack of this feature in the java.net.URL class is the reason why I started
> > looking at the jakarta project in the first place.  I have made these
> > changes and tested it locally, but I am not sure of the submission
> process.
>
> I'm also interested in supporting multi-homing, a bit.  ;)
> Surely, it can be implemented in HttpMultiClient, I think.
> Because it should support threading for multi-homing...  Hmm...

In this part, to tell you the truth, I'm showing you that I regarded it as multi-homing
on the destination-side, not the origin-side (You mean this).
Because multi-homing on the destination-side is for clustered computers...  :(
(I was confusing multi-interfaces on local host...) Sorry for that I misunderstand you....
  ^^;