commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject Commons logging question
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 16:48:29 GMT
Here are two newbie questions:
I am trying to implement a new system using Commons logging wrapped around log4j.

1. I get this exception which puzzles me:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:497)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:350)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:400)

If the system is finding org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory, why can't it find org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl?
 They're in the same jar which I've simply downloaded from the site.

2. Though puzzled by #1, even if I wasn't getting that exception, something would be wrong,
since I thought I had set up to not use the default mechanism.  It should have found log4j
first.  I used the second method described in the docs under
"Choosing A LogFactory Implementation".  Evidently I've done something wrong.  The file

META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
exists and contains the line
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory

This seems like it ought to work but doesn't.

The documentation doesn't say which JAR this belongs in.  I assumed it meant the war file
for my application.  Is this wrong?

Steve Cohen
Sr. Software Engineer
Ignite Sports, Inc.