commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: minor commons-pool interface change
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 22:39:17 GMT
> A bit outside of the subject, but what's the status with the JDK1.4
> nightmare ?
> I noticed the build is using some code modifications to
> compile on both, but will the output run on any VM ?

That's DBCP, not Pool, but the way it works now is:

* if you compile using JDK 1.4, you get a JDBC 3 compatible JAR. I don't
think that JAR  will work with anything other than JDK 1.4

* if you compile with anything else, you get a JDBC 2 compatible JAR. I
don't think that JAR will work with JDK 1.4

This happens through some ant filter-token magic, set up by Lev and John I
believe.

It's not ideal, but I don't see any way around having distinct JDBC 2.x and
JDBC 3.x binaries short of some nasty (and probably slow) reflection and/or
proxy work, which may not even work with JDK 1.2.

> I think this is a major issue and might require changes to APIs,
> but I think it must be resolved before a 1.0 release.

I think we're all open to suggestions (or even better, patches), but I think
you could call it fixed if we're ok with distributing distinct JDBC 2 and
JDBC 3 JARs.