commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: [GUMP] how to point the finger?
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 03:31:00 GMT
From: Ovidiu Predescu [mailto:ovidiu@cup.hp.com]

> The problem with small behavior changes is that their implications are
> not understood immediately. With a good test suites which exercise the
> code things are much easier to handle. If GUMP would be able to take
> advantage of the results of all the test suites, it would be really
> great.

Right now, GUMP will run any automated tests, that the developer
puts into the build file.

You can't force a project to have more tests - they're mostly
autonomous, so the best you can do is submit patches to test
things that aren't being tested properly, and hope they apply
them.

It would be excellent if more projects (especially projects with
a large body of dependent code - eg Xerces) would have more thorough
tests.
It would (potentially) stop problems like the current Lakta failures.

But the way to do that is to submit patches. GUMP can highlight
dependencies, and areas where problems occur, but it can't magically
generate tests, so someone has to get their hands dirty.

Having the nags include a list of changes since the last successful
build is useful too, but I think the mail should only go to the list,
and not to each developer.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie
Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and
should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may