commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Amir D. Kolsky" <a...@kolsky.com>
Subject Servlet
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 17:24:55 GMT
I am trying to compile HttpClient under JB6.

I got the source from CVS and started to compile. After adding JUnit and Log4J as required
libraries I got hit with Javax.Servlet.

This has me stumped. Why is HttpClient having anything to do with Servlets? Servlets are client
side objects...

This pulls in a J2EE dependency!

Puzzled, Amir

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Cohen [mailto:SteveC@ignitesports.com]
Sent: Wed, May 01, 2002 7:48 PM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Commons logging question

Here are two newbie questions:
I am trying to implement a new system using Commons logging wrapped around log4j.

1. I get this exception which puzzles me:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:497)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:350)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:400)

If the system is finding org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory, why can't it find org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl?
 They're in the same jar which I've simply downloaded from the site.

2. Though puzzled by #1, even if I wasn't getting that exception, something would be wrong,
since I thought I had set up to not use the default mechanism.  It should have found log4j
first.  I used the second method described in the docs under
"Choosing A LogFactory Implementation".  Evidently I've done something wrong.  The file

META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
exists and contains the line
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory

This seems like it ought to work but doesn't.

The documentation doesn't say which JAR this belongs in.  I assumed it meant the war file
for my application.  Is this wrong?

Steve Cohen
Sr. Software Engineer
Ignite Sports, Inc.