commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: minor commons-pool interface change
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 23:32:09 GMT

On Wed, 1 May 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: costinm@covalent.net
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: minor commons-pool interface change
>

> A bit outside of the subject, but what's the status with the JDK1.4
> nightmare ? I noticed the build is using some code modifications to
> compile on both, but will the output run on any VM ?

Are you talking about the stuff in DBCP (rather than POOL)?  If so, the
answer is that you can compile on either platform, and it will run on
either platform, as long as you don't use the new features (like
Savepoint) that were added in JDK 1.4.

If you need to use Savepoint et. al., then you must compile your copy of
commons-dbcp on 1.4 (and we should definitely do this for the release
version).

> I think this is a major issue and might require changes to APIs,
> but I think it must be resolved before a 1.0 release.
>
> Costin

Craig