commons-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject bug in httpclient, can't talk to realaudio http server
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 18:45:30 GMT
i'm getting this exception when my httpclient (multiclient) tries to
talk to a realaudio http server:

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException: Error in parsing
the status line from the response: unable to find line starting with
"HTTP/

a URL for which this occurs is:

http://realaudio.webslingerz.com:8080/ramgen/lingual/eyeprint.rm

wget can fetch the resource fine, and when i talk to the server via
telnet, the communication goes as i would expect:

[balld@localhost tmp]$ telnet realaudio.webslingerz.com 8080
Trying 66.45.6.69...
Connected to susan.webslingerZ.com (66.45.6.69).
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /ramgen/lingual/eyeprint.rm HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:35:59 GMT
Server: RealMedia Server

rtsp://66.45.6.69:554/lingual/eyeprint.rm
--stop--
pnm://66.45.6.69:7070/lingual/eyeprint.rm
Connection closed by foreign host.

sure, it's lying about the last-modified time, but everything else looks
fine to me. can anyone tell offhand what it's failing on or should i dig
into the source?

on another note, in response to a little flurry of complaints about lack
of sample usage documentation, followed by calls for the complainers to
write said documentation, i posted the beginnings of such a document
last week - and heard nary a peep from anyone, not even a "this sucks, i
could have done this in 10 minutes myself" retort. might i suggest that
if you're going to ask the user community to get involved, that you
should respond when they try to become involved?

- donald