commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Workflow] Is this project still active?
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 10:01:10 GMT
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>

> One thing that has changed a *lot* since I started the workflow thing is
> the number of different choices for embedding scripting languages into
> Java application servers.  If we can find one (or even a plug-in
> framework for multiple languages) that is suitable for writing the
> workflow control scripts, that's probably a better choice than inventing
> YAXBSL ("yet another XML-based scripting language").

Agreed.

> For example, using
> the expression language syntax from JSTL would clearly be better than the
> existing primitive Step implementations for control flow and looping.

Agreed. Indeed I think the whole of JSTL, the use of the EL, XPath, XSLT and
SQL can all be useful for the workflow project. i.e. use the JSTL standard
tags then add some extra workflow specific tags and you're there.

So in terms of what the XML looks like, I'd say use JSTL and add some extra
tags. In terms of what engine is used to run the workflow scripts, JSP could
well be the engine if the workflow is driven by servlets/http requests. Or
in non-servlet environments (such as in a SOAP service or in a JMS
MessageListener) instead of spoofing a HTTP request/response and forwarding
to a Servlet to process the workflow script you could use Jelly instead.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jelly/

Either way, using JSP or Jelly, your scripts remain the same, using XML and
using the JSTL / EL standard.

At the moment I'm experimenting with using Jelly and the JSTL tags (and some
extra ones) for doing XML and SQL based unit testing using XML scripts which
is similar in many ways to where workflow is going; there could well be
quite alot of cross-over between the two.

James