commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Maven Error
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 12:53:47 GMT
> From: James Strachan [mailto:james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk]
>
> From: "John Keyes" <jbjk@mac.com>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I am attempting to use maven to build CLI.  I got the
> following error:
>
> Strictly speaking the turbine-maven-user mail list is the
> place to ask these questions - but the above is a common one,
> its in the FAQ I think - just quietly ignore it, it happens
> all the time.

Perhaps a note on the site or the project docs would quell
questions like this.  Something along the lines of "If you
experience a problem with the build, check _here_ for answers
to the most common problems.  If you still do not have your
question answered, then you can ask a question on the XYZ
list."

There are two points I want to make:

1) Problems with the build tool will most likely be satisfied
   by looking at the Maven FAQ.  If not, the project maintainer
   needs to look into it.  It might be something wrong in the
   way the project is set up.  Requiring the user to belong
   to the Maven users list if they are not writing software
   based on *Maven* is a little backwards.  You might have a
   new FAQ entry to add to Maven....

2) Users are pretty fickle.  They don't want to work too hard
   if they can help it.  It's kind of that unconscious cost/
   benefit analysis we all do.  "Is it worth my time?"  We know
   this because many of the projects we work on are worth our
   time--but a new user looking at 5 different projects will
   always use the one that provides the most support.  Support
   coming in the form of a friendly API, decent docs, and for
   questions about the build--someone willing to answer questions
   if they are not already in the FAQ.