commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [dbcp]: Oracle "too many open cursors error"
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 15:54:23 GMT
> From: Bill Schneider [mailto:bschneider@vecna.com]
>

> I've been using the dbcp BasicDataSourceFactory with Tomcat,
> as a replacement for Tyrex brokenness.  I ran into some
> trouble with it under heavy load: after running it for a
> while I end up with an Oracle "too many open cursors error".

This is a common problem with any connection pooling code.

The problem has to do with ResultSets that are not closed.

Conn.close() is used to return a connection to the pool.
Perhaps the correct approach is to cache references to all
ResultSets and such so that we can auto close them to give
the same affect.

This is something I've been meaning to add to Avalon's
DataSource code, and I just never have gotten around to it.