commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Juozas Baliuka" <bali...@centras.lt>
Subject Re: Commons logging question
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 20:29:21 GMT
Hi,
This is the same problem as in "ClassCastException raised in newFactory()
method when starting from JUnit test"
Log factory must have "getLog(Class clasz, ClassLoader loader)" it is
useless without this
method.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Cohen" <SteveC@ignitesports.com>
To: <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 6:48 PM
Subject: Commons logging question

Here are two newbie questions:
I am trying to implement a new system using Commons logging wrapped around
log4j.

1. I get this exception which puzzles me:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:497)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:350)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:400)

If the system is finding org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory, why can't it
find org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl?  They're in the same
jar which I've simply downloaded from the site.

2. Though puzzled by #1, even if I wasn't getting that exception, something
would be wrong, since I thought I had set up to not use the default
mechanism.  It should have found log4j first.  I used the second method
described in the docs under
"Choosing A LogFactory Implementation".  Evidently I've done something
wrong.  The file

META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
exists and contains the line
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory

This seems like it ought to work but doesn't.

The documentation doesn't say which JAR this belongs in.  I assumed it meant
the war file for my application.  Is this wrong?

Steve Cohen
Sr. Software Engineer
Ignite Sports, Inc.
stevec@ignitesports.com