commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [collections] collections of primitives?
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
+1

Waldhoff, Rodney wrote on 5/28/02 7:47 am:

Over at the AxionDB project (http://axion.tigris.org/) we've created a handful of ArrayList-like
collections that store primitives (for space efficiencies), support primitive method signatures
like indexOfInt(int) (for time efficiencies), but otherwise support the List interface (for
interoperability).

The space savings is substantial.  For example, a ShortArrayList requires
1/10th the memory of an ArrayList of Short values (or a Short[]).  A LongArrayList requires
2/5ths the memory or an ArrayList of Longs (or a Long[]).

Someday (JDK1.5?) these will likely be superceded by Java-generics (indeed, they make a good
case for Java-generics).

If there are no complaints, I'd like to add these to commons-collections, probably packaged
as org.apache.commons.collections.primitives (to make room for additional primitive-collections
implementations and avoid additional crowding in org.apache.commons.collections.*). I've already
got karma, I just thought I'd see if anyone complains or has a better packaging suggestion
first.  You can browse the code at http://axion.tigris.org/source/browse/axion/whiteboard/one/src/org/axiondb/u
til/

 - Rod