commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Kitching" <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject RE: digester needs SAXParser.getXMLReader
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 23:05:12 GMT
Robert, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately, it looks like crimson/apache already have the JAXP
api bundled with them. There are certainly lots of javax.xml.* classes
in the jar files.
The url <http://xml.apache.org/~edwingo/jaxp-faq.html> also contains
this statement:
In JAXP RI 1.1.3, which includes the Apache Crimson 1.1.3 parser, both
API and implementation classes are contained in the same jar files:
crimson.jar for the parser and xalan.jar for the XSLT processor.

I should have been more specific in my original email; in particular I
should have said:
* Digester needs method javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.getXMLReader().
* crimson 1.1.3 provides an implementation of class
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser; this
  implementation has most of the methods that JAXP 1.1 docs say it
should have -
  _except_ for the getXMLReader() method.
* xerces-J 2.0.1 has the same issue. The parser now comes in two jars,
one "xercesImpl.jar"
  that provides the actual parser, and one "xmlParserAPIs.jar" that
presumably provides
  wrappers to map standard apis to the implementation. The
xercesImpl.jar, like crimson 1.1.3,
  provides a javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser class, and this is also without
the getXMLReader()
  method.

Reading the javadoc for javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser more carefully, I
see:

<begin extract from javadoc>
public abstract class SAXParser
extends java.lang.Object

Defines the API that wraps an XMLReader implementation class. In JAXP
1.0, this class wrapped the Parser interface, however this interface was
replaced by the XMLReader.
<end extract from javadoc>

This implies that the getXMLReader() method was introduced in JAXP1.1
(the method doesn't say but I
presume it was introduced when the underlying class became an
XMLReader).

Xerces 2.0.1 claims to implement JAXP1.1, as does Crimson 1.1.3.
Therefore, surely, they should have the getXMLReader() method..but they
don't. And surely I don't need an additional library, otherwise there
would be two implementations of the javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser class...

On the other hand, there must surely be people using digester on java
1.3. As digester is part of Tomcat4,
and it works, maybe I need to look at what xml lib Tomcat 4 bundles?

Still puzzled; anyone got any ideas?

Simon