commons-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote "Modeler" from Sandbox to Commons, Release 1.0
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:09:08 GMT
On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> > one jakarta project ( with an aproved plan of release ) shouldn't
> > even need a vote to get into common proper and be released.
>
> Now, suppose I didn't like that outcome, and did a logger copy with some
> slight change, and called it TheLogger.  According to your suggestion, I
> could incorporate in Velocity or make available as a component in Turbine,
> drop into sandbox, and keep moving it right through to Commons.

Nothing can stop you from writing TheLogger - except other Turbine or
Velocity commiters who may -1 it.

If the Turbine/Velocity community believes it is indeed needed and
benefical for them to create another logger - and this becomes a
part of the release, then I think it doesn't matter too much if you
release it as a component of Turbine or commons.

And if you think other projects may be interested and use TheLogger,
I think it is perfectly justified to have it in commons. It won't
be called commons-logging ( you need another name ), and it won't
replace commons-logging. But Velocity can continue to use whatever
logger they choose.

Costin