commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [pool] PROPOSAL: add collecting of statistics to pool implementations
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:25:46 GMT
I'd say the reason for the coexistence is the same as for a lot of
components that coexist between Avalon and Commons.

Both projects have a similar mandate. Commons on a micro level, Avalon on
a macro level. These different views seem to create a lot of internal
disagreement between the two projects and a fair amount of politics.

This leads to communication problems with both parties lacking awareness
of what is in the other, and a lot of threads that continue as this one
has [See Berin and Rodney's posts].

>From what little I've gleaned of Avalon [Yep, I'm as guilty as anyone of
not having a clue what the other half is doing] they have been
restructuring the components so that they are more independent of the
entire framework. I'm not sure if they were from the beginning, but it
seems to be that things are being refctored.

This begs the question of:

If Avalon is a macro view made up of micro components, and Commons is
micro components, when will we hit a stage where we have a redundant
micro-components project, and how should this be dealt with?

My definition of macro vs micro is probably best expressed as giving
someone a lego kit in a box versus giving someone lots of lego bricks. In
the former there is a defined way to build the system, though you can play
with it. In the latter it's entirely up to you.