commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: WeakHashSet collection
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:45:10 GMT
It sounds lke it fits the purpose, unless there is a way in Java 1.2 to
emulate the functionality.

Generally the way to submit a single class like this would be to send an
email with [SUBMIT] WeakHashSet as the title, briefly describe the class
and attach the source. The person who submits would normally handle the
licencing I believe.

Another option is, rather than attaching the source code, to provide a url
which has the javadoc, source code, and a description at. This is mainly a
courtesy thing as a large email onto a mail list can be bad. So if you've
got a 50k source jar or something, this might be the approach to take. For
a single class it's not worth it.

In terms of marketing your class, the email gets direct attention, the url
provides the ability to easily read javadoc which is often a nice way to
get into code.

I don't believe there are any project standard styles (beyond the java
ones) so after someone reviews the code the most likely changes would
either be javadoc improvement if it was felt that something wasn't being
said, or some aspect of the Set interface not being adhered to.

For example, when you return elements to the set through an iterator, are
they weak links still and does the remove() still work. Usuaully this is a
big deal with Maps and the netrySet() method.

I hope that helps. Just throw the source code out here. :)

[Oh, and I probably should have given you a URL about code submission.
  although they're not Commons specific.]