commons-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: new 'wrapper' commons component
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 19:10:40 GMT
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
> in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
> daemons.
>
> The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
> and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
> that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
>
> Attached is the proposal, please send your votes.
>
> Costin

  Proposal for /wrapper/ Package

      (0) Rationale

Many server-side software projects need to be started and run as
deamons. The wrapper package provides a platform-independent mechansim
to define, load and keep alive servers - integrating the platform
specific mechanisms like Windows Services or Unix daemons.

This functionality is already duplicated and fragmented among various
jakarta projects. Tomcat3.x is using jk_nt_service, Tomcat4 is using
JavaService, avalon is using the Wrapper. Many other variations are
known to exist.

      (1) Scope of the Package

This proposal is to create a package using the original code from
Wrapper project, curently hosted on SourceForge. The project will be
integrated with existing code and can be shared by all server-side
projects, replacing and beeing integrated with jk_nt_service and the
other solutions

      (1.5) Interaction With Other Packages

/wrapper/ relies on standard java and C code, but currently doesn't
require any external library.

The wrapper uses a properties file to specify the parameters used to
start the JVM, similar with what jk_nt_service is using.

      (2) Initial Source of the Package

The initial Java classes will be contributed by the original wrapper
developers, and will be integrated with and into existing projects

At this moment, wrapper is the most advanced and provides many features
not found in any other 'windows service wrapper' packages, like Unix
support and monitoring/restarting of failed processes.

The proposed package name for the new component is
|org.apache.commons.wrapper|.

      (3) Required Jakarta-Commons Resources

    * CVS Repository - New directory |wrapper| in the |jakarta-commons|
      CVS repository.
    * Mailing List - Discussions will take place on the general
      /commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/ mailing list. To help list
      subscribers identify messages of interest, it is suggested that
      the message subject of messages about this component be prefixed
      with [wrapper].
    * Bugzilla - New component "wrapper" under the "Commons" product
      category, with appropriate version identifiers as needed.
    * Jyve FAQ - New category "commons-wrapper" (when available).
    * New commiters - The 3 original authors of the package and other
      jakarta commiters are proposed as Jakarta-commons commiters

      (4) Initial Committers

The initial committers on the wrapper component shall be (
alphabetically ):

    * Jean-Frederic Clere
    * Peter Donald
    *
    * Pier Fumagalli
    * Patrick Luby
    * Geir Magnusson
    * Costin Manolache
    * Remy Maucherat
    * Craig McClanahan
    * Leif Mortenson
    * Ryan Shaw
    * Johan Sorlin

In addition we expect other interested people to join.