commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard Sitze" <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface... VOTE
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:07:25 GMT
Well... yes... I was "rearranging the deck chairs".    I move all
implementation out of the one package, and into another (btw, LogFactory is
an abstract class with some code specified, it's not an interfact).

How is that significantly different than what you proposed, other than your
proposal may preserve backwards compatibility.... which is goodness.

Also, I really dislike "LogUser" in that context...   what's wrong with
"LogEnabled"  as per Avalon (I know we are, again, circling back over old
ground :-), or "LogEnablable" :-).

<ras>

Richard A. Sitze            rsitze@us.ibm.com
CORBA Interoperability & WebServices
IBM WebSphere Development

                      "Geir Magnusson

                      Jr."                     To:      Jakarta Commons Developers List

                      <geirm@optonline         <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                      .net>                    cc:

                                               Subject: Re: [logging]  Need interface...
VOTE
                      04/05/2002 04:45

                      AM

                      Please respond

                      to "Jakarta

                      Commons

                      Developers List"

On 4/4/02 5:15 PM, "Richard Sitze" <rsitze@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> OK then, let's see what happens:
>
> I PROPOSE that the classes in commons logging be rearranged as follows:
>
> no change:
>  org.apache.commons.logging.Log
>  org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Loger.java
>  org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog.java
>  org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger.java
>  org.apache.commons.logging.impl.NoOpLog.java
>  org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog.java
>
> rename package, and add JavaDoc to explain or confuse as appropriate:
>  org.apache.commons.logging.factory.LogFactory
>  org.apache.commons.logging.factory.LogSource  (deprecate?)
>  org.apache.commons.logging.factory.impl.LogFactoryImpl
>  org.apache.commons.logging.factory.impl.LogConfigurationException
>  org.apache.commons.logging.factory.impl.Log4jFactoryImpl

Isn't this just rearranging the deck chairs?  The problem, for me anyway,
still exists...

All I want is a base 'commons component' with two interfaces (ok maybe more
than two - three)

  o.a.c.genericlog.Log
  o.a.c.genericlog.LogUser
  o.a.c.genericlog.LogFactory

Where Log and LogFactory are just like the o.a.c.l interfaces, and  LogUser
has a single method

   setLogFactory( LogFactory );

That's it.

Then, if this gives me what I think it does, and if people grok what I was
trying to do, I would then propose

  o.a.c.l.Log extends o.a.c.genericlog.Log

  o.a.c.l.LogFactory extends o.a.c.genericllog.LogFactory

So thus, nothing changes for anyone or anything using o.a.c.l, but then
there would exist :

1)  o.a.c.gl : a generic, lightweight contract for logging with the marker
interface I think would be useful.

2) o.a.c.l :  multi-impl implementation of o.a.c.gl

System and Software Consulting
The question is : What is a Mahnamahna?

For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>