commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [JJAR] Status? Jar Repository?
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:26:55 GMT
On 4/16/02 10:08 AM, "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com> wrote:

> I think we're working towards having a real problem towards the consumer
> as to the difference between Maven and Jjar and why there are two tools
> with such an overlap.

I figured this would come up.

There is a real difference in purpose.  Maven, as I understand it, and I
can't speak for the developers - my only contribution besides moral support
was some tiny work on the DVSL in the beginning - is more of a continuous
integration tool, combining project many project and development management
features into one place.

JJAR was designed as a simple tool for use in many places, with a much
smaller scope in functionality.  The use we are talking about now is
basically jar retrieval, where you can have a repository of jars that you
can use for development, deployment, or whatever.  I.e. You can use JJAR to
fetch jars for building things : where the jars come from is of course up to
you

- there should be a known-good set available from the projects and/or
central repository

- you could have your own set in your enterprise that you have tested and
trust

- you could use a repository descriptor that points to the daily Gump output
if you wanted to build against the latest-greatest all the time to test API
contracts and stability.

- etc

And how you use it is up to you.  Currently it works with ant as well as on
the command line.  Simple and light.  But some of the wackier ideas would be
things like using JJAR to feed a classloader on demand....  The point is to
be just another small tool in the toolbox (granted, one that requires
serious support on the backside...) that you use wherever...

> I'd recently flipped my 'consumer' demands over to Maven. Do you see any
> forseeable solutions?

I don't think there is a problem, as they are different.  JJAR doesn't come
close to what Maven does.  There may be overlap in the functionality in that
Maven needed to have similar functionality as a part of itself, but that's a
different issue.

I see no need for strife here :)

System and Software Consulting
The obvious solutions are challenging