commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface... VOTE
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 17:58:47 GMT
On 4/5/02 12:24 PM, "Morgan Delagrange" <mdelagra@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Now, if we can't meet somewhere in o.a.c.l, I am
>> happy to do an interface
>> package o.a.c.gl, which I hope wouldn't be -1'd when
>> proposed to commons
>> proper because of the existance of o.a.c.l...
>>
>> geir
>>

> I'm -0 on a backwards-compatible change that does not
> affect performance.

That's fair.  Not sure why '-', but ok.

> I am -1 on integrating this with
> existing commons components because of the performance
> impact of non-static Log objects in the classes.

At no time have I suggested that any component, existing or in the future,
be required to change.  It wouldn't make any sense unless you wanted that
component to have the option of getting a log pushed to it.  (And you can do
both if you want...)

And what's the performance impact of implementing an interface?

> This
> is particularly important since we are already
> guaranteed a level of indirection.  Also I'm decidedly
> -1 on changes to existing components that do not
> provide backward-compatible default Log objects.

Again, I have never, ever suggested changing any existing components.  At
worst, o.a.c.l  interfaces would implement o.a.c.gl interfaces, but the
change there would be one import statement and the addition of 'implements
XXX' - no other changes as the interfaces are identical, and again, only in
the o.a.c.l package.  Components wouldn't care - they would go on happily
using o.a.c.l as they do now...

> That's a real kicker for me wrt. integration in other
> Commons components.  You would have to instantiate a
> default Log for each instance of a class, and then if
> you utilize that interface you would instantiate
> _another_ Log.

Why?  Remember :

  there are no requirements to use the marker interface

> That's quite a bit of potential
> overhead.  The proposed interface might work
> acceptably in an environment that does not require
> default Log implementations.

Repeat :

For users of o.a.c.l, *nothing* changes.

System and Software Consulting
Be a giant.  Take giant steps.  Do giant things...