commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface... VOTE
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 17:10:58 GMT
On 4/5/02 11:57 AM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> Yes, I have a LogFactory as well - same interface as o.a.c.l -
>> implementation free - the o.a.c.gl package contains no impl of anything so
>> you can have the gl.jar in your classpath and all is well if you do your own
>> impl...
>>

> Java doesn't let you declare static methods in an interface, so you can't
> do what the static methods in LogFactory do for you that way.

I know that.  That was costin's idea.

I wouldn't want that assumption built into o.a.c.gl.LogFactory anyway. I am
trying to stay as far away from impl assumptions as possible.

> you'd have to split the factory finder part out into a "real" class with
> static methods someplace for those who like that discovery method.  The
> fact that this code would still exist (even in a different package) is
> bound to offend *somebody's* sensibilities :-).

I think it should be left alone as is in o.a.c.l.

That's the idea behind o.a.c.gl : anyone that subscribes to the existing
theology will have no change.

> By the way, I'm -1 on any change that is not backwards compatible in
> commons-logging 1.x.  Geir's original proposal would not have done that
> (and I'm -0 on that at the moment), but the "deck chair rearrangements"
> proposal sure would.

I think you mean the reorg proposal from Richard, which I too don't like, as
it will lead to more exciting threads like this :)

My 'counter', with the o.a.commons.genericlog doesn't require any changes to
o.a.c.l at all, and allows in the future that o.a.c.l's top level Log and
LogFactory interface extend o.a.c.gl.Log and LogFactory, where the static
discovery in o.a.c.l.LogFactory is in o.a.c.l only

Now, if we can't meet somewhere in o.a.c.l, I am happy to do an interface
package o.a.c.gl, which I hope wouldn't be -1'd when proposed to commons
proper because of the existance of o.a.c.l...

geir

System and Software Consulting
"He who throws mud only loses ground." - Fat Albert