commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface... VOTE
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:17:12 GMT
On 4/5/02 9:07 AM, "Richard Sitze" <rsitze@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Well... yes... I was "rearranging the deck chairs".    I move all
> implementation out of the one package, and into another (btw, LogFactory is
> an abstract class with some code specified, it's not an interfact).
>
> How is that significantly different than what you proposed, other than your
> proposal may preserve backwards compatibility.... which is goodness.

What I propose is a separate package - so that you include the o.a.c.gl jar
when you just want the interfaces, and both (or just o.a.c.l) when you want
the actual impl.

Remember, I am coming from the POV that I already have logging (which could
be based on log4j, logkit, system.out.println...) and just want a generic
interface to it.

> Also, I really dislike "LogUser" in that context...   what's wrong with
> "LogEnabled"  as per Avalon (I know we are, again, circling back over old
> ground :-), or "LogEnablable" :-).

I don't care about the name.  LogEnabled is fine, but I was keeping the
'LogUser' moniker just so people who saw the first post have a clue... For
the real impl, we'll change it.

System and Software Consulting
The bytecodes are language independent. - Sam Ruby