commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface...
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:09:57 GMT
On 4/4/02 11:30 AM, "Richard Sitze" <rsitze@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I think we are circling around the same point.

Maybe.

> I don't see the value of the interface w/o framework as-per your comments
> below.  You CANNOT use the interface for "totally generic code" without
> forcing a framework into the code also... SOMETHING has to attach an
> implementation to the logger, via pull (factory) or push (external
> dependencies) model.  So, you are going to be subscribing to one or the
> other.

And SOMETHING has to be there anyway to use the
component/class/package/module that uses o.a.c.l, right?  I just don't want
to be told exactly what has to be there...

> On the other hand, we could do a bit of disassociation here:  move the
> factory and other elements of the "framework" into a separate package, and
> introduce a new package for the push model:
>
>     org.apache.commons.logging.pull
>     org.apache.commons.logging.push
>
> (and no, I wouldn't vote for these for final names :-)

Nor would I.

I would hope though that in o.a.c.l lives the basic interfaces...

System and Software Consulting
Be a giant.  Take giant steps.  Do giant things...