commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface...
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:33:29 GMT
I find myself in agreement.  Secondly,  I conceptualize interface
implementation as a form of inheritance (interface inheritance).
 Therefore, you must ask:  Is this an appropriate situation for
inheritance or containment.  Most object technology "experts" profess
you should favor containment versus inheritance.  This is a sign of good
encapsulation.

Avalon's logging solution might be appropriate for one conceptualization
of logging which is "component level" logging.  In truth logging is used
to refer to multiple types of logging (tracing, error reporting, etc),
and most of the differentiation of this is the message importance or
type.  Its where or when you want the message to be viewable and in some
cases created.

As for configuration, is the logging a service or a class assignable
property?  Generally I think its a service used by your application or
API.  Avalon's logic is that your "component" need to be "configured"
with this "aspect".  I see the logic but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Security is a consideration with calling a static wrapper (the general
approach to logging that most folks use) but I would question the
supposition that security cannot be a service called by or implemented
by the logging service/static wrapper in such a situation where its
required.

Lastly, its just a pain in the butt to do it the way Avalon does it.  I
think its the case of working around a mismatch between Java and the
"Aspect Oriented Programming" that they seem to be going after.

There are many things about Avalon that are increadibly likeable and
there are situations where I would use this kind of logging.  Just, I
don't see it as a "hammer" and am not sure that the same thing can't be
accomplished through containment.

And that's all I have to say about that.

-Andy