commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface... VOTE
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:57:47 GMT

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Yes, I have a LogFactory as well - same interface as o.a.c.l -
> implementation free - the o.a.c.gl package contains no impl of anything so
> you can have the gl.jar in your classpath and all is well if you do your own
> impl...

Java doesn't let you declare static methods in an interface, so you can't
do what the static methods in LogFactory do for you that way.  At best,
you'd have to split the factory finder part out into a "real" class with
static methods someplace for those who like that discovery method.  The
fact that this code would still exist (even in a different package) is
bound to offend *somebody's* sensibilities :-).

By the way, I'm -1 on any change that is not backwards compatible in
commons-logging 1.x.  Geir's original proposal would not have done that
(and I'm -0 on that at the moment), but the "deck chair rearrangements"
proposal sure would.

Craig