commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Need interface...
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:59:33 GMT

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:46:07 -0500
> From: Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@optonline.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [logging]  Need interface...
>
> So what I propose is to add an interface 'LogUser' or something like it (we
> can quibble about the name...)
>
>  public interface LogUser
>  {
>     public void setCommonsLogger(Log log)
>  }

I can see why some people might like to have a log setter method like this
(rather than letting the log-using component define its own log name).
What I don't see (yet?) is the value of having this interface defined in
commons-logging itself.  Isn't the decision to need/use this made on a
component by component basis anyway?  Don't the cooperating components
have to know about it in order to call this method, whether its an
o.a.c.l.LogUser interface or just a public property setter?

> Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     geirm@optonline.net

Craig