commons-dev mailing list archives

From "otisg" <ot...@iVillage.com>
Subject Re: [pool] PROPOSAL: add collecting of statistics to pool implementations
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:07:43 GMT
Hello,

> If Avalon is a macro view made up of micro components, and Commons is
> micro components, when will we hit a stage where we have a redundant
> micro-components project, and how should this be dealt with?
>
> My definition of macro vs micro is probably best expressed as giving
> someone a lego kit in a box versus giving someone lots of lego bricks.
In
> the former there is a defined way to build the system, though you can
play
> with it. In the latter it's entirely up to you.

This is an obvious question to ask.
If Excalibur, which is a part of Avalon, is a set of micro components,
why nor merge them with Commons? From another email I see that a group
of people (Avalon) already tried doing that a while ago, but failed, so
Commons was created.

While Avalon and Excalibur may predate Commons, I think we would do
non-Jakarta developers and Jakarta software users, and maybe even other
Jakarta developers, a favour by merging code, and merging it into
Commons. I say into Commons because I think that this would be more
logical and obvious to users. Perhaps it's just a more straight forward
nomenclature. The name 'Excalibur', which is a part of something even
bigger and equally vague, Avalon, does not tell me much about its
content, whereas Commons does. As a side note, I always thought
Excalibur was a poor choice because it makes me think of Excalibur
Retrievalware or whatever that product is called exactly.

I don't want to start a long discussion, I'm just wondering what's the
reason that hasn't or can't be done, or to put it more positively, how
we can get that done.

Otis
Sign up for FREE iVillage newsletters <http://s.ivillage.com/rd/16705> .
>From health and pregnancy to shopping and sex, iVillage
has the scoop on what matters most to you.