commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@eurobell.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Question] Betwix & JAXB
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:25:32 GMT
This is true, Joda also performs Java->XML mappings. And like Betwixt it is
not intended for use starting from just any old XML. (Java is king, XML is
just a data format).

Joda got written because I could find no alternative that met my
requirements. JAXB is XML focussed, I needed a Java focussed solution.
Castor had an unsuitable licence (you can't use it in a development kit),
plus it doesn't support Maps and I found a problem with Lists too. JOX
(@sourceforge) was focussed on mapping XML style names to Java ones using a
DTD, and also didn't support Maps or infinite recursion.

At the time of writing it, I didn't know about Betwixt. Now I am considering
if Betwixt and Joda may integrate - not quite sure yet. Joda currently
handles Maps and ids in a way I don't think betwixt does yet. But betwixt
offers a greater range of output formats and operates on plain JavaBeans..

And as Juozas said, more choice is generally good.
Stephen