commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [logging] Need interface...
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:32:54 GMT

In IoC based apps, the container.  period.  That is what IoC
is all about.  The container (or manager) makes all the decisions
about the component.

> The trend I've seen the most is that logger names are fine
> grained - often based on the fully qualified class name of
> the class that is doing the logging.  This means that I can
> turn on debug logging on just my "foo" component, without
> having to turn on debugging info for all the components that
> are sharing the same Log instance.  To say nothing of the
> fact that I can direct the log output from different
> components to different places ...

FQCN based logging is not fine enough :)

> Bottom line is that I would be unlikely to create components
> that implemented LogUser or whatever, even if it did get
> added.  It takes away too much fine-grained control for my
> taste.  The pattern I like is similar to what Jon quoted:
>
>   public class MyComponent {
>
>     private static Log log = LogFactory.getLog(MyComponent.class);
>
>     public void hello() {
>       log.info("Hello!");
>     }
>
>   }

The container chooses the fine grained name.  Avalon makes the
balance quite well.  In fact, we can have loggers that are by
functional unit--even below the class/component level.

> which creates a logger based on the fully qualified class name.
>
> Further, at least for Log4J and JDK 1.4 logging (and perhaps
> others) have nice inheritance rules about logging names, so
> that you could turn on debug level output for *all* Commons
> components that use this pattern by setting the level for
> "org.apache.commons" ...

LogKit also has those.