commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com>
Subject RE: Question about DBCP
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:25:58 GMT
Sorry, hit send button too quick.  I am attaching my JUnit test that I am
working with.

Thanks,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Pugh [mailto:epugh@upstate.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:20 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Subject: Question about DBCP

Hi all,

Can anyone provide pointers to open source sites using DBCP?  I am trying to
get DBCP to work with DbForms (www.dbforms.org).  DbForms currently uses
Poolman as it's suggested pool for JDBC connections, but it badly needs
something newer and easier to set up!

I have managed to tweak the class ManualPoolingDataSourceExample to work
with MSSql Server.  However, what is confusing to me is how in the example
my jdbc driver is passed in?  I see it goes in from the commandline
as -Djdbc.drivers=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver, but I never see how it
get's used.  In addition, when i hardcoded my driver, I couldn't get it to
work until I added a
Class.forName("com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver") at the top of
the code in my copy of ManualPoolingDataSourceExample.

Can someone give me some pointers on how the -Djdbc.drivers value actually
get's registered with the DriverManager?

Also, how can I verify that I am actually pooling connections, versus
creating a new one over and over?

I have attached my copy of ManualPoolingDataSourceExample that I have
renamed to ManualPoolingDataSourceTest, and am using under JUnit to test.

Eric