commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: property naming (Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/digester build.properties.sample)
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:23:53 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> writes:

> both are equally valid, but consistency within a particular
> philosophy is even more important than choosing one or the other.

I don't agree.  As I mentioned in my message in response to Jeff, and
as you say above, build files following the Struts style make the
(huge) assumption that the builder has setup their source trees in a
single way.  Though they are sometimes written to allow for alternate
configurations, the unnecessary complexity introduced by the extra
parameterization required to allow flexiblity for those who have not
setup their source tree in a manner matching that of the build file
author is not a good trade-off.  Better to follow the proven precedent
set by Unix years and years ago (I'm sure you remember, Craig *impish
wink*) which has proven to work well.

- Dan