commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Digester] Asymmetry between ObjectCreateRule and FactoryCreateRule
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 19:11:38 GMT
hi martin

On Monday, March 4, 2002, at 03:46 AM, Martin Cooper wrote:

> I noticed an asymmetry between the way ObjectCreateRule and
> FactoryCreateRule handle exceptions.
>
> ObjectCreateRule.begin() does not attempt to catch the exceptions which
> might be thrown from loadClass() or newInstance(). It simply allows them
> blow out of begin(), so that they may be handled elsewhere.
>
> FactoryCreateRule.begin() calls the createObject() method, which has no
> declared exceptions. Therefore, an implementation of createObject() must
> handle the same exceptions which do not need to be handled in
> ObjectCreateRule.begin().
>
> Is this asymmetry intentional, or perhaps an oversight in
> ObjectCreationFactory?

i'd say that it's more a matter of style than an oversight. i usually
prefer to allow no exceptions rather than allowing any exception.

on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a good design reason why
ObjectCreationFactory.createObject shouldn't allow any exception to be be
thrown. so i'll willing to make the change if people think that it'd make
things easier.

- robert