commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: Using DBCP for production projects
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:09:22 GMT
> Is it currently "production" quality ?
> Is it being extensively used by other products / modules ?

Yes.  We use it in a number of production applications and we have for over
a year (before it was commons-dbcp).  The most heavily trafficked of these
applications currently services around a million requests per day on high
traffic days, where each request is comprised of multiple, sometimes many,
database transactions.  (And we've seen the app scale to significantly more
load than that, back before the internet bubble burst.)

This is using a WebLogic app server and an Oracle database server, and DBCP
substantially outperforms and outscales WebLogic's built-in connection pool
(largely due to DBCP's support for prepared statement pooling, I believe).
Your mileage may vary.

> Alternatively, can someone recommended another (public domain)
> generic connection pool that will work with Tomcat 4.0

Poolman (http://sourceforge.net/projects/poolman/) is a popular connection
pooling library available under the GPL.  I'm sure it's no less stable or
performant.  It seems it may have been recently orphaned
(http://www.codestudio.com/).