commons-dev mailing list archives

From "otisg" <ot...@iVillage.com>
Subject Re: httpclient: timeout
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:23:15 GMT
I have tried this before. It did not work for me under IBM's 1.3.1 JVM
and Linux.

Otis
Get your own FREE email account at iVillage.com!
http://webmail.ivillage.com/

<-----Original Message----->

From: Mohammad M. Purbo
Sent: 3/13/2002 8:02:36 PM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: httpclient: timeout

Hi All, i was just joining & have a question/suggestion.

i downloaded commons-httpclient source code sometimes ago (nightly
build:
20020307) to try to use it in one of my project, in which i need to set
the
timeout for a connection.

i wrote something like:

import org.apache.commons.httpclient.*;
HttpConnectionManager httpconn = ........
HttpUrlMethod method = ......
int timeout = 60000;

HttpConnection connection = httpconn.getConnection(method.getUrl());
connection.setSoTimeout(timeout);
int status = method.execute(getState(),connection);

which of course wouldn't work because HttpConnectionManger.getConnection
is
not returning opened connection, and the connection wouldn't be opened
until
the execution of HttpMethodBase.execute.

now, i couldn't find any way to set the timeout so that it can be set to
the
HttpConnection once it's opened inside HttpMethodBase.execute (except by
overriding the execute method in my own Method-descendant class, which
is a
bit too much because it's almost as good as writing the whole
HttpMethodBase).

So I made a patch temporarily in HttpConnection:

1. add private member:
private int _timeout = -1;

2. update setSoTimeout():
public void setSoTimeout(int timeout) throws SocketException,
IllegalStateException {
_timeout = timeout;
}

3. update open(), and add the following lines just before _open = true;
if (_timeout > 0) {
_socket.setSoTimeout(_timeout);
}

Did i miss something?