commons-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Db bean issue
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:22:21 GMT
Jason R Lee wrote:

> Ya, I guess turbine is more of a 'struts for the back end' so maybe i need to narrow
my approache or view like you're saying.

I'm not sure what to make of this statement.  Turbine is a
web-application framework and contains code useful for presentation as
well as persistence.  The persistence framework is separate and could be
used with any servlet or other gui frontend.  Turbine's presentation
framework is flexible and allows multiple technologies to be used (jsp,
velocity, etc.).  Struts was started as some felt that a system that
concentrated on only using jsp as the presentation technology would be
easier for those trying to learn jsp.  Now I believe struts is going in
the direction of allowing templating systems such as velocity to be used
as well.  (Which I guess should be expected as velocity kicks butt over
jsp.)

So I would not say turbine is a struts for the back end, though torque,
stratum, fulcrum (subprojects of turbine) can be used with struts or any
other presentation layer.

john mcnally