commons-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Db bean issue
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:59:42 GMT
jakarta-turbine-torque

john mcnally

Jason R Lee wrote:

> Hello anyone who's out there,
>
> I have an 'issue' that is rearing its head again and wld like to get anyones take on
it. It concerns beans & db and the lack (or maybe not) of a kinda jakarta proj/framework
like struts, but addresses the back end.

> I know, there's EJB, etc... But, after working on EJB and non-EJB projects, I'm not convinved
EJB is any more scalable or distributable than a good implementation of data aware beans -
or something along those lines.

> I helped design a quite popular, big air travel site that took a non-EJB approach and
worked well and scaled across 15 Sun boxes without a hitch. However, the implementation was
a little complex and now that I'm working on another project, I'd like to have the same thing
at a simpler level.

> So I guess I'm just kinda saying hi to the Commons proj and trying to see if anyone has
thought about this issue. Especially since there is no Jakarta sub-project or Commons portion
addressing this issue.