commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: [OT] thoughts on Java pre processor
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:40:33 GMT

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:55:25AM -0000, James Strachan wrote:
> So the aim of the preprocessor would be to allow us to add some syntax
> suguar to Java to save us some typing and avoid redundancy. I just wondered
> what others thoughts are. Here's a couple of ideas for some syntax sugar...
> foreach?
> ======
> To help avoid repetive code of the form...
>
> for ( Iterator iter = something.iterator(); iter.hasNext(); ) {
>     Foo foo = (Foo) iter.next();
>     foo.bar();
> }
>
> maybe introduce a C#-like foreach statement...
>
> foreach( Foo foo in something.iterator() ) {
>     foo.bar();
> }

and maybe throw in some logging syntax, which can be compiled to log4j,
the Commons logger or compiled out altogether.

--Jeff

(who once did write a preprocessor to let you embed declarative XML
statements like <debug level="1">This is a debug statement</debug> in
Java. It worked by converting the marked up .java to XML, then applying
stylesheets ala XSP to transform <debug> to code, then stripping the XML
tags to get .java again. I thought it was neat :)