commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Odéus <peter_od...@yahoo.se>
Subject Periodicity requirements & design
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:39:26 GMT
Hi

Calendars/address books are somewhat trivialized when
it comes to implementing an electronical one. Due to
the fact that we all seem to know what a calendar is
(I cannot back that up, just taking a wild guess ;-)),
there is a danger in simply copying the paper calendar
artifacts and transferring them to electronic media,
not thinking too much about the new questions that are
implicitly raised by doing that.

Security and privacy questions are not the only ones.
The little research e.g.[Palen] that has been done in
the area, show that people need several convincing
features in order to commit to the new calendar
artifact, and eventually dispose the old one (why give
up the trusty old paper-, brain- or no calendar if the
new one does not give me a higher added value).

The new electronical calendar artifact is definitely
promising. The only problem is to reach a sufficient
state of mind-sharing in order to reveal all those
goodies (and issues). Before finishing the coding.

So...

How are we going about to formalize the requirements
and the design of this wonderful new system? Maybe
goal-oriented requirements engineering [KAOS] and UML?
Ideas, anyone?