commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject [Digester] How can Digester create objects whose class is defined in the XML?
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2002 07:41:01 GMT
I need to be able to specify the class to be instantiated for an element
from an attribute on its parent element. For example, I need to have
Digester handle the following:

  <action-mappings type="com.foo.bar.MyClass">
    <action ... />
    <action ... />
  </action-mappings>

Here, each ObjectCreate for an <action> element needs to create an object of
the class specified by the 'type' attribute of the <action-mappings>
element. After the object has been created, its own attributes would be
populated using addSetProperties(). There is no object created for the
<action-mappings> element.

I have a feeling that this is going to involve a FactoryCreateRule of some
sort. However, I haven't quite got my head around this type of rule yet to
figure this out.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

--