commons-dev mailing list archives

From javajoe2...@comcast.net
Subject Re: Periodicity requirements & design
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 01:16:26 GMT
Peter,

    I'm helping on Periodicity with some small things, like testing and a
Time Zone implementation.  I believe that a discussion and development of a
complete set of requirements for Periodicity would be a great thing.  The
project will grow fastest and best when its goals meet the needs of a group
of interested and involved people.

    A few days ago, the main committer on this project, Jeff Prickett,
offered the following to a couple of interested developers:
"Where we are is we have the basic design of the iCalendar objects
"implemented. We need code to save the objects to a database, templates in
"Velocity to view them in a web browser, security integration with Turbine
"and JAAS. After that we should be ready for a 0.0.1 release.
<snip>
"I look forward to working with you and hope that you decide to
"join us as we build a world class calendaring application.

    While this is definitely not a complete set of requirements, it does
outline an absolute minimum set of capabilities that must be implemented for
Periodicity to function.  Additional core features, enhancements, and
yet-to-be-identified critical components must be added.

In your email, you said:
> How are we going about to formalize the requirements
> and the design of this wonderful new system?

I look forward to working with you.

Bottom line: Thanks for taking the time to look at Periodicity.  Please
contribute.

    Personal note:  I am new to Jakarta and fairly new to programming.  I
appreciate you taking the time to include links to relevant documents in
your email.  I have downloaded the Palen dissertation and a Meeting
Scheduler paper from the KAOS site and plan to read them over the next week.

Thanks,

Mike George