commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <mich...@iammichael.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons-USER, Commons-DISCUSS
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:11:35 GMT
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 ringo.desmet@mediagenix.com wrote:
> > But my proposal is to add a Commons-USER and Commons-DISCUSS
> > list to the
> > resources offered by the commons.
>
> I would go for the following:
>
> commons-dev
> 	- as is
> commons-commit
> 	- CVS commit messages
> 	- reply goes to commons-dev
> 	- I don't need commit messages.
> commons-user
> 	- usage of commons packages.
>
> I don't see a reason for commons-process. If the commit messages are on a
> separate list, I can cope with the source and non-source discussions held on
> commons-dev.

I agree that there's no compelling reason for commons-process.  A couple
of threads went a bit long, but I don't think that means we need another
mailing list just for that thread (that appears to have ended for now).
As for the user list, I can't see any reason why we can't make things
easier and more welcoming for the users of commons components by giving
them a list free from development and process issues.

As for the cvs commit messages...

Developers are theoretically supposed to review cvs commits since each
commit is a product change and subject to lazy consensus (I think everyone
agrees to that).  As such, I think it's appropriate to have cvs commit
messages sent to the dev list.  After all, the dev list is for developers.

For what reason are you interested in being on the dev list, but not
interested in seeing the commit messages?  maybe that would offer a
compelling argument as to moving the cvs messages to a different list.

regards,
Michael