commons-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:09:02 GMT
On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > > You mean users can become developers by participating?
> >
> > That's how open source works, Peter !
> > Almost all developers around here are users who choosed to participate.
>
> Which is precisely my point - thanks for demonstrating it ;)
>
> Choosing to participate (at least if you are doing it constructively) almost
> auotmatically makes you a developer and you merit voting rights.

Choosing to participate is what you do by sending feedback on
commons-logger, or looking at the code and saying its ready for a release
or not, or reviewing the commits and sending a -1 if something is wrong.

Or monitoring a component your project depends on and getting involved
( by vetoing incompatible changes ) if something is wrong.

You are saying simple users ( even if those simple users are jakarta
commiters ) can't vote. I'm saying they do vote anyway -
for example by duplicating the code ( and creating  yet another DB pool
or logger ). And by making sure the rules are set so their
opinion matters as much as that of the original developers we
may get them to trust the common component. If you don't
trust other jakarta commiters, why should they trust you ?

Costin