commons-dev mailing list archives

From <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Util 1.0? - Let's house the homeless
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:57:50 GMT

> > > src/java/org/apache/commons/util/LockableFileWriter.java
> > > src/java/org/apache/commons/util/StreamUtils.java
> > > src/java/org/apache/commons/util/GenerateUniqueId.java
> >
> > This has no IO-ness to it at all?
>
> Are you saying that these are not IO?  GenerateUniqueId could go in
> servlet (if that's its main usage). The others seem undeniably IO.

My fault. 'this' just meant the last one :) I think the difference is that
I'm thinking in terms of where something should go rather than where it's
main usage is. In that way, it hopefully will be used by more things. The
bad side of this is that it will create more cross-dependencies.

> > > [COLLECTIONS]
> > The only issue with the compare/ library is dependency. It depends on
> > Lang
> > so Collections might not want it until Lang is there.
>
> Hmm... Good point.  That's difficult to resolve.  Perhaps a collections
> extension package of comparators?
>
> It seems like the basic data stores in collections should have no
> outside dependencies.  However, extensions with dependencies might be
> good.

I'll take a look at the xml classes you mentioned. My view for the xml
code is that it should stay in the sandbox until its grown. I guess
there's no reason that something that grows in the sandbox can't then
leave it to go into jdom or dom4j.

Bay