commons-dev mailing list archives

From <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Commons Util 1.0 release candidate 1
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:27:27 GMT

Following on from some of the other mails, I'm tweaking my suggested
changes to be inline with other suggestions.

The Utils sub-project would stay where it is as a clearing-hosue for
miscellaneous small classes without obvious targets and would remain in
the sandbox.

A handful of classes would vanish or migrate into the Commons.Collections
project:

> EnumerationIterator, MapUtils, CollectionsUtils SequencedHashtable
> StringStack

This would require a Collections/Utils commiter preferably to handle the
migration.

A new project called 'lang'. This would contain:

>     Classes Numbers Objects Strings
>     possibly Base64, though Email and Codec both have this.
>     package 'exception' would be in this with its 4 classes.

Lang would need to be proposed, so the first step would be someone to
propose it and the necessary number of committers for the proposal. I've
worked a lot on these classes, so would be happy to make the proposal.

An already existing project named 'io'. The main developer for this (is it
Scott?) would need to confirm that:

>   Files Streams LockableFileWriter

are currently the same in both projects and the Utils ones may die.

This leaves a few other classes to decide where they should go.

1) xml. Currently there's one class here. I plan to add an XmlWriter and I
do have a parser I could add, but as it's not dom/sax etc I see little use
in it being there. Is it worth looking at seeing what common components
the xml.apache.org project has for Java. Maybe they haven't merged them
together yet and need assistance. I also plan to add more code to the
existing class.

2) http. I imagine this would either go into io or into HttpClient. io
seems most likely as HttpClient has a different goal. How does that sound
Scott?

3) 'util' like classes.

>    Soundex GenerateUniqueId BufferCache

Soundex is used by Strings(StringUtil) so it's tempting to send it with it
into Lang. Strings has some hidden subclasses too, one of which is
Metaphone and would ideally go wherever Soundex goes. GenerateUniqueId is
pretty much util stuff. BufferCache sounds like it might be deprecated
anyway?

Bay